The Boscawen Public Library has always been a reflection of the community it is proud to serve. The library was voted into existence at the town meeting in March 1892. The Town Hall housed the library starting the next year, with a collection of 108 books. Samuel Allen was first librarian. The space soon became crowded and insufficient. John Kimball, Benjamin A. Kimball, and Frank L. Gerrish donated a majority of the funds to build a new library. Guy Lowell, a nationally renowned architect, designed the building in upper Boscawen, dedicated in 1913.
Library service in lower Boscawen naturally followed in 1928.
The Torrent Hose Hall’s second floor served as library for many years, and eventually the library moved to the easier to reach lower portion. For the better part of the century, Boscawen was a town of two libraries. Marjorie Emery gave much to the libraries in those years, serving as librarian from 1924 to 1946.
Celina Colby was the first branch librarian(1948), a post continuing until the early 1990s, when Barbara Keegan again combined both posts.
In 2005, it was time for another change. The town had outgrown the two library spaces. With reluctance, the board of trustees decided it was not possible to expand services at either location. Instead, the board accepted the selectmen’s offer of a new home in the old elementary school, currently home to the police as well as the library. The new space was dedicated October 31, 2006, with all the amenities, including internet access for the public, story-times, and book discussions, and more than twice as much space as the old libraries combined.
At the dedication of the old building in upper Boscawen, they hoped that the library would be “one new channel for continued usefulness, a lighthouse and a power-house for the people who now live here, not less than for the generations to come.”